New English Language Test for partners of British and settled citizens or those settled here

From 29 November 2010, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English.

You will need to meet the requirement if:

  • you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and
  • you are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled here; and
  • you want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person’s husband, wife, civil partner, fianc√©
  • (e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner.
  • If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English. The following countries are considered to be majority English-speaking countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago the United States of America.

 For further advice about these arrangements please call McKenzie Beute and Pope.

This entry was posted in Asylum and Immigration. Bookmark the permalink.